Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Column Headers HELP

Inactive User
Not applicable

Our current problem in Tableau has to do with duplication. So essentially in each record there are multiple line #'s. Then in each line # there is information. So is it possible to do something like the copied picture below? Thank you in advance

Snip20170519_1.png

8 REPLIES 8
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

I am not sure if the image you have there is the before or after image. Can you provide an example before and after sample data set? Thank you!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Inactive User,

You can definately do this by doing a series of formulae or transposes, depending on your starting data.    So - a few questions to get started:

- What does your starting data look like?

- Are you OK to do the final vizualisation in Tableau?

- this is important because if we can give you a set of data which has 4 columns being Record#; Type (AR Linehaul; AP Linehaul; etc); Line Number and Value - then you could produce this output very quickly in Tableau

- To do this - you can either use a tile tool; or a multi-row formula, using record number as a grouping tool.   What that does is the first time it sees record 1 it stamps line 1 on it; and so on for the second and third time etc. 

Hopefully with your input data, we can get you to a solution that meets your needs.    Easiest way to do this is to mock it up in Alteryx with a Text Input, and we can then help you to complete this flow.

Cheers

Sean

Inactive User
Not applicable

The image I provided is just a quick excel sheet I made to show what I was looking for

Inactive User
Not applicable

Yes I'm ok with the final visualization being in tableau. But unfortunately I'll have to wait until Monday to post the starting input. Until then I'll research your suggestions and find a solid starting point.

Inactive User
Not applicable

I would suggest transposing those columns into rows by Line Item, grouping by Record ID. This will solve the duplication issue as the columns can now share the name and are determined by the row value "Line #".

Inactive User
Not applicable

So this is what my original data would look like. What I want to do is put ap linehaul, totalap, arlinehaul, total Ar and invoiceno under each of the line #'s. So that I can have one row for each JLS# instead of multiple rows for each JLS#

Thank You in advance

Alteryx Test.PNG

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I believe the attached workflow illustrates @Inactive User suggestion: Transpose by Line Item/Record #, then you could use a formula to concatenate the Line # to each column Name, then Cross Tab tool to put them back into columns. You'll have "Line1_jlsNo" and "Line2_jlsNo", etc. for each of the original columns. Can't do two levels of headers with Alteryx (like you show in your original posting), but this should accomplish the same/similar thing. Hope that helps?

NJ

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thank You for the information!! It's starting to come together

Labels