Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Merge (many to many) Matching in Alteryx

Amit786898
5 - Atom
I am trying to merge 2 Excel files with few same columns based on a primary key(duplicates).

Ex: I ran this merge command in SAS and it worked perfectly.

data output_file;
          merge file_1 file_2;
          by id;
        run;

SAS Output: It has created an output file with all the columns from both the files and merged column if both column contain same column name.

1 REPLY 1
DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hi @Amit786898!

It has been awhile since I've used SAS, but I believe the equivalent of your SAS query in Alteryx would be a Join tool followed by a Union tool.

In the Join tool you would pick "id" as your join field. Records where both files have the same ID will be merged and displayed in the J output of the Join tool. Any records in either file that have an id that is not present in the other file will fall out of the L or R outputs of the Join tool. You can combine the records of all 3 outputs of the Join tool using the Union tool.

In the join tool you can select/deselect what columns you want to appear in the J output. The default is to keep them all. The Union tool will automatically keep all the columns from the 3 sources, even when they are different using the default configuration.

I have attached a simple example. Let me know if I misunderstood your inquiry or if you have further questions.

Labels