Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Merge Two Strings (with overlapping characters)

smille17
7 - Meteor

Let's say I have this data set (and the padding of the second record is intentional):

Field_1
The quick fox
          fox jumps over the lazy brown dog

What I would like to do is output the following:

Field_1Merged FieldOverlap
The quick foxThe quick fox jumps over the lazy brown dog           fox
          fox jumps over the lazy brown dog  

Basically, I need to merge the strings together.

The use case could potentially expand to something like this:

Field_1Merged FieldOverlap
The quick foxThe quick fox jumps over the lazy brown dog          fox jumps over the lazy
          fox jumps over  
                    over the lazy  
                         the lazy brown dog  

In other words, there is no way of knowing how many characters the strings may overlap by.

Assume there is some way in the data set to identify the set of records that need to be merged together. Also assume that I don't really care which record the [Merged Field] or [Overlap] gets printed to, as long as its a record within the set of strings that need to be merged together. The padding of the string in the [Overlap] column needs to be there - the number of spaces in the padding represents the position of the overlap.

In C# one might use the string zip functionality to achieve this; I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this in Alteryx. This is not a simple concatenation - it's a true merge.

2 REPLIES 2
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @smille17,

On approach is to tokenize the characters and then do sum summaries and so forth; there may be something involving fewer tools than I've used in my example, but it does at least work. Hope that helps.

smille17
7 - Meteor

Thanks for this - interesting approach. I wonder how it scales with a large number of records. This definitely helps me move forward, so much appreciated!

Labels