Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Locking a workflow

collinjd
8 - Asteroid

Hi There,

Can anyone tell me whether you can lock or password protect a workflow or something similar that so other users do not overwrite anything in the existing workflow?

Thanks

Jodi

7 REPLIES 7
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hi @collinjd

Have you tried the Encrypt Workflow option?

Encrypt.png

collinjd
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, just tried that but then I cannot open it to run the query.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

You will probably need to convert the workflow to a standard macro and then encrpyt it. 

You can then drop this macro onto any canvas and run it.

collinjd
8 - Asteroid

Great thanks will try this

Claje
14 - Magnetar

In case you still want workflow visibility, a solution that will stop this from happening accidentally is to use windows "read-only" functionality.

If you right click on the workflow wherever it is saved and select "Properties" you can check off the "Read-only" Attribute.

ReadOnly_1.PNG

Then, if you try to make a change and save the workflow, you will get the following error in Alteryx:

ReadOnly_2.PNG

The advantage of this method is that you can pretty easily uncheck this option so that you can write your own copy, and if the end user wants to see what your code is doing, or see the workflow as it runs, they can do so.  The disadvantage is that basically anyone with access to this file/folder can probably uncheck the Read-only box, so someone intentionally or deliberately saving the workflow will still be able to do so.

You could also get even more advanced (depending on how this folder is secured) and add/remove baseline Windows security permissions for the file, so that anyone other than you/admins can ONLY read the file, and cannot save/edit it.

collinjd
8 - Asteroid

Great thanks very much! much appreciated :)

mihir_mir_jb
8 - Asteroid

Hi @LordNeilLord, could you please guide as to how can I convert the workflow to a standard macro.

Thanks

Labels