Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Limiting rows of dynamic excel data

JonnieRamirez
5 - Atom

Hi all,

New to Alteryx and have been playing around trying a few different things to limit the rows of my dynamic data (sample, select records, filters, dynamic input).

I have three vertical tables in an excel. I only want to pull data from row 2 until it hits a null (the blank space between table 1 and 2). 

I haven't had much luck using the tools I mentioned above (although I'm not that experience with dynamic input yet). Any recommendations? Is dynamic input my best option?

Thanks,

Jonnie

3 REPLIES 3
Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

Hi @JonnieRamirez

I wouldn't say Dynamic Input is the best choice here. From how I read you question I would use my favorite tool the MultiRow formula.

The attached workflow is one way to do it. I use the MRF tool to see if it's the first row and if it's not then it looks to see if Col A is blank. It sets a marker (FirstTable) to identify the rows that are part of the first table. You still read in all the rows, but then Filter to those which have the marker and then drop the marker.

Check_Table.png

Cheers,

Bob

pcatterson
11 - Bolide

Dynamic Input is used to pull in multiple files (mainly with the directory tool) and I don't think would be useful here.  To accomplish what you discussed, I think my workflow approximates it:

JonnieRamirez
5 - Atom

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I was able to incorporate the same logic and get it to work. Thank you!!

Jonnie

Labels