Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

IF Expression Issue

amandaj4123
7 - Meteor

Hi!  I have attempted the below formula several times, rearranged, used " " instead of IsNull, but my results are still incorrect.  I could use some input on how to resolve.  

IF [A]="Non-Test" && [C]!="" THEN "" ELSEIF [A]="TEST" && IsNull([C]) THEN "" ELSEIF [A]="TEST1" && IsNull([C]) THEN "" ELSEIF [A]="TEST2" && IsNull([C]) THEN "" ELSEIF [A]="TEST3" && IsNull([C]) THEN "" ELSE "Validation Required" ENDIF 

I am trying to achieve the following...

1) IF [A] = Non-Test AND [C] is blank THEN "Validation Required"

2) IF [A] = TEST, TEST1, TEST2, TEST3 is NOT blank THEN "Validation Required"

Thanks,

Mandy

11 REPLIES 11
amandaj4123
7 - Meteor

Correction to what I'm trying to achieve...

1) IF [A] = Non-Test AND [C] is blank THEN "Validation Required"

2) IF [A] = TEST, TEST1, TEST2, TEST3 AND [C] is NOT blank THEN "Validation Required"

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Can you post some quick sample data perhaps showing the data and what you expect the result to be? Here is my best guess:

IF ([A] = "Non-Test" && isempty([C])) Then "Validation Required" ELSEIF ([A] IN ("Test","Test1","Test2","Test3") && !isempty([C])) Then "Validation Required" ELSE "" ENDIF

I'm hoping you can use the isempty function on C, and I used an IN function for A.

Hope that helps!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

How about ....

IF  
       [A] In ('Non-Test','TEST', 'TEST1', 'TEST2', 'TEST3')
       AND
       !IsEmpty([C])
       THEN '"Validation Required"
ELSE
""
ENDIF

That's one approach.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
amandaj4123
7 - Meteor

Let me try to better explain the expectation...I hope this helps.  Thank you!

When [A] = [Null] this is an error and I want to insert "Validation Required".

When [C] is not [Null] this is an error and I want to insert "Validation Required".

Sample DataSample Data

Mandy

amandaj4123
7 - Meteor

OMG!  This is reason to step away and re-group!  Sorry!

When [A] = "Non-Test" & [C] = [Null] this is an error and I want to insert "Validation Required".

When [A] = "TEST" & [C] is not [Null] this is an error and I want to insert "Validation Required".

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
IF  
     ([A] = 'Non-Test' AND IsNull([C])) or ([A] = 'Test' AND !IsNull([C]))   THEN "Validation Required"
ELSE
""
ENDIF

When [A] = "Non-Test" & [C] = [Null] this is an error and I want to insert "Validation Required".

When [A] = "TEST" & [C] is not [Null] this is an error and I want to insert "Validation Required".

Cheers,

Mark

amandaj4123
7 - Meteor

I see where you're going, but [A] will never be [Null].  [A] will always be "Non-Test" or "TEST".  I would like to insert "Validation Required" in a new column, only if the following occurs...

[A] = "Non-Test" & [C] = [Null] THEN "Validation Required"

[A] = "TEST" & [C] is not blank or [Null] THEN "Validation Required"

Does that help?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Capture.png

IF  
     ([A] = 'Non-Test' AND IsNull([C])) or ([A] = 'Test' AND !IsNull([C]))   THEN "Validation Required"
ELSE
""
ENDIF

I think that it works....

amandaj4123
7 - Meteor

Shut the front door!  You are absolutely correct, it works!  Thank you very much!

Salute,

Mandy

Labels