Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to write data from in-DB tool into a database?

anil_m
8 - Asteroid

In-DB.JPG

I am planning to read data from one database and write into another database,

In the above figure, from the source database, i am planning to write a query that joins five tables and i want to write the data into another database.

But, I am not able to connect Source database into destination database.

7 REPLIES 7
gnans19
11 - Bolide

You need prepare your data, Data Stream-Out and Data Stream-In and finally Write to your destination DB

In-DB.png

anil_m
8 - Asteroid

@gnans19 Thanks so much quick reply, In your workflow can't we connect "Connect In-DB" to "Write In-DB" directly ?  Because its too slow.

And, Since my source query joins 5 tables and gathering lot of data, lets say around 200MB,  "Data stream-In" is not writing data until "Data stream-out" loading complete data.  Is there is faster way, can the "Data stream-in" write the data as the stream out receiving data?

gnans19
11 - Bolide

If they are different data sources, then no.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Is there a reason why your Write Data has to be done using an in-DB tool?

I think this would be quicker if you used a regular Output Data tool to write out the final output.

As I understand In-DB - this process will stream out from your query (against source 1) into alteryx, then write into source 2 as a temp table, and finally write that temp table to a permanent location in the database.  I think that the Output Data tool should skip the "temp table" at the beginning of source 2.

anil_m
8 - Asteroid

@Claje  Yes, its taking too long.  I am keep getting data from source but not writing anything.  I will check with output data tool.LoadingTime.JPG

gnans19
11 - Bolide

Unless you perform some complex transformation inside, better option is to connect to your output database directly from source database. (Like linked server in SQL Server).

oi10aaf
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for this; this is the only place that clearly explains the use of Write Data In-DB.

Labels