Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to write data from in-DB tool into a database?

anil_m
8 - Asteroid

In-DB.JPG

I am planning to read data from one database and write into another database,

In the above figure, from the source database, i am planning to write a query that joins five tables and i want to write the data into another database.

But, I am not able to connect Source database into destination database.

7 REPLIES 7
gnans19
11 - Bolide

You need prepare your data, Data Stream-Out and Data Stream-In and finally Write to your destination DB

In-DB.png

anil_m
8 - Asteroid

@gnans19 Thanks so much quick reply, In your workflow can't we connect "Connect In-DB" to "Write In-DB" directly ?  Because its too slow.

And, Since my source query joins 5 tables and gathering lot of data, lets say around 200MB,  "Data stream-In" is not writing data until "Data stream-out" loading complete data.  Is there is faster way, can the "Data stream-in" write the data as the stream out receiving data?

gnans19
11 - Bolide

If they are different data sources, then no.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Is there a reason why your Write Data has to be done using an in-DB tool?

I think this would be quicker if you used a regular Output Data tool to write out the final output.

As I understand In-DB - this process will stream out from your query (against source 1) into alteryx, then write into source 2 as a temp table, and finally write that temp table to a permanent location in the database.  I think that the Output Data tool should skip the "temp table" at the beginning of source 2.

anil_m
8 - Asteroid

@Claje  Yes, its taking too long.  I am keep getting data from source but not writing anything.  I will check with output data tool.LoadingTime.JPG

gnans19
11 - Bolide

Unless you perform some complex transformation inside, better option is to connect to your output database directly from source database. (Like linked server in SQL Server).

oi10aaf
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for this; this is the only place that clearly explains the use of Write Data In-DB.

Labels