Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to use precondition in Alteryx

manjarigoyal
5 - Atom

I am new to Alteryx and I have created a very basic module. the first part of module convert the test.csv file to test.xlsx format and second part is using the test.xlsx file and renaming the fields and doing some filters and creating a new output testNew.xlsx file.

The problem I am having how to run the first part first and second part second. Can't find the tool which can precondition.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

Hi manjarigoyal

I have two thoughts:

1) You could just run two workflows -

One to create the test.xlsx file

One to read that xlsx file, rename/filter and create the testnew.xlsx

2) You could have a workflow to read the test.csv file and then the workflow would have two branches - one to just save the test.xlsx file and another to do the filtering and renaming of the fields coming from the csv file and then output to the testnew.xlsx file.

That's the way I'd go unless there are some other needs not specified.

Cheers,
Bob

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Agree with @Bob_Blackey  that your particular case would be better served by a workflow with a branch with two outputs.

More generically thought, there are a few things that you can also look into as your workflows become more complex:

- If you have to generate an excel file - and then generate an e-mail report with this excel file attached - you can use a block-until-done tool to make sure that the export to excel is done before it starts the leg of your flow that generates the e-mail

- If you have to do something more sequence-dependant - e.g. write to a database table or a file of some kind, and then only start the next job when the output is done (e.g. updating a dimension table before putting some facts in - sort of like the standard issue that you cant put in sales transactions until you've updated the customer table 'cause sales belong to customers) then the way to do it is to build these little workflows into Batch Macros - and then you can have a master canvas that chains them together in the required sequence.

There's some great videos on Batch Macros on YouTube to get you started - and if you're still stuck I can whip something together to demonstrate this chaining concept.

Labels