Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to use Oversample tool?

marlline
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I am trying oversample tool today because I am running into an issue of binomial variable 3% being "Yes" and 97% being "No".

in the Oversample tool,

• Under "Select the field you want to base the oversampling on", I chose "binomial" which is a character variable with value of "yes" and "no".
  • Under "the field value you wish to oversample", I chose "yes"
  • The percentage of records that should have the desired value in the field of interest, I chose 50

However it kept showing "Tool #2: Parse Error at char(9): Unknown variable "binomial".

But it is the variable in the data file of my input tool. Please help.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @marlline,

Based off what you explained, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I wonder if there may be a memory leak somewhere... how large is your data file? Also, try maybe changing the field name to something different.

Also, I attached a sample data file. Throw the attached file into a new workflow and run the oversample on the "Responder" field, "Yes" value. If it runs successfully, that'll at least confirm that the tool is working and is something with your data or environment.

If it continues to fail, a note to support@alteryx.com may be in order.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jimmy

marlline
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much!!

WilliamB
5 - Atom

Remove the Spaces in the Field Heading:

I experienced the same issue and received a similar error when running the Oversample Tool on a field in my dataset named "Record Outcome".  After a long list of attempts to resolve, I finally found that simply removing the space in the field name by changing it to "RecordOutcome" prior to the input into the oversample function resolved the problem.  Seems so simple so hopefully saved others some time!

JP_SDAK
8 - Asteroid

This is much after the fact for the question, but maybe it will help someone else when searching this error.

I also ran into this same problem.  I was using a "?" at the end of my field and getting the same error.  Once I removed the ? it worked fine.

Labels