Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to trigger a tool container based on condition?

anil_m
8 - Asteroid

I have two independent work flows,  First work flow will output true or false.  If first work flow return true then i want to trigger the second workflow which is available in a tool container. is it possible to trigger a tool container based on condition ?  Do containers enable or disable based on dynamic conditions.

7 REPLIES 7
gnans19
11 - Bolide

Try using 'Detour' tool.

You can bypass certain steps in your workflow based on a condition.

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @anil_m! Check out this article, and see if it is what you're looking for... https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Dynamically-enabling-disabling-workflow-sect...

anil_m
8 - Asteroid

Conditional_WorkFlows.JPG

Here are the work flows 1 and 2 are highlighted in blue boxes, Box1 will just return true or false,  If box1 returns true then i want to run the box2.  I am not aware of  joining either detour or the macros.  There is no data transfer between them.

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@anil_m I think you can still accomplish what you are wanting with the method explained in the article I posted. In your formula tool, just add a Boolean column that says "true" or "false" to feed into the macro. Then, within the macro (right click on the icon and click open macro), put the tools you want to run based on your certain condition in the tool containers. Depending on which came in as true or false, one of the containers will run the tools within. You do not have to have any input to the macro in your main workflow other than the Boolean. Just put your inputs within the tool containers within the macro. This way there will be no data transfer. I attached a simple workflow I created that hopefully will clear things up. If the total field equals 5 (true) then one tool container runs, if the total field does not equal 5 (false), the other one runs. You can make modifications as necessary to your workflow from there. Hope this helps!

anil_m
8 - Asteroid

Hi Barnesk, Thanks for the detailed explanation :-)

mzhukovs
5 - Atom

This isn't 100% what you're asking but in case it helps anyone else:

If the condition is a failure of some sort of a previous step, and then you DON'T want to run subsequent steps (and this approach is nice if you don't want to use any macros at all, and want to contain the logic within a single workflow), what you can do is split up the steps that you want to run in order and ensure that an alteryx ERROR is emitted from any of the previous steps, such that none of the subsequent steps will be run, then to do this is simple 1) use the Block Until Done tool, which will trigger your steps in order and 2) Then under Workflow - Configuration --> Runtime --> check the box for stopping the workflow on error.

PrasadP
8 - Asteroid

Hi

Labels