Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to identify data set with column shifting

tracie326
5 - Atom

I’m having trouble extracting the specific set of data that I need from an Excel sheet. I’ve attached the data exactly how I received it (I changed text to make it more generic for public consumption).  I only care about the data in column B (and it will always be in Column B) and then the data currently in columns AH – AQ.  However, each month this data is refreshed and the columns can shift left or right so it might not always be AH – AQ.  I do know that I will always need the columns between Total Area2 and Total Area3.  Also, it’s also possible the number of columns between Total Area2 and Total Area3 can change as well.  Since there isn’t a nice header to use, I’m having trouble targeting the data set.  I toyed with the Transpose in hopes to then use a Multi-Row Formula but it’s challenging because there are 2 rows of headers (one with text and another one with dates- and the dates will change).   They are also inconsistent with labels in Row 4.  It’s possible I am able to have the person that creates this file make a few modifications if it helps.  Not even sure where to start.

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I have attached an example to this post. It's a little messy, but works and shows how variable range identification can be achieved in Alteryx.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Nice work @CharlieS

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

tracie326
5 - Atom

This works perfectly.  Problem solved. Thank you so much!

Labels