Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to force a newly added branch in a workflow to run before the exsiting branches

HA
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I was developing two workflows separately the first portion which is on top and starts with Input data tool ( reading a text file) and the buttom portion which starts with an input tool followed by block until done tool. Now I need to combine the two workflows ( as you see in the screenshot below). The first portion and the first branch after the block tool need to be run first to generate an output (indicated with red arrows. these are joined to generate a file ) then second and third branches after the block tool and complete the workflow.

When I run this workflow it first completes all the branches after block tool and then runs the first portion which is not what I need.

Would you please give me suggestions how to fix this ?

workflow2.jpg

1 REPLY 1
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

I have a quick point on where I think this issue is occurring and a recommendation on solving the problem:

I think this particular issue is cropping up due to the append fields piece, and is causing some order of operations issues.

The easiest solution to this is to leverage a CReW macro named "Parallel Block Until Done".  This is available here: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

You can connect the "1" output of this tool after the join, and the "2" output before the piece that has to wait in your bottom output.

I can try and put together a picture example if this doesn't give you enough information.

Labels