Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to convert % percentage sign to number in a simple way

charmrain
5 - Atom

Hi, 

i want to find out a simple way to translate the numeric data with the "%" percentage sign to a recognizable format, is there any simple way to do that?

please note, the variable blends with normal format value like 1.23 and "%" format value like 45.6%

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Trim([field],'%')

That's pretty much all you would do to a string.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @charmrain

Firstly - let me thank you for posting an example flow with mocked up data - makes getting you to an exact solution much much easier :-)

I've added 2 pieces to your workflow.   The first one is wrong and doesn't work but is interesting because of the way it works, and the second works.

First version:

- Uses a data cleanse to strip punctuation, and then an auto-field to change the type

- This looks like the easy way to do this - but the bear-trap here is that the decimal place is also punctuation, so all of your numbers get turned into integers

Second Version:

- this uses a formula to do a simple replace of % with blank

- then does a data cleanse to strip whitespace, and auto-field to change the type

Second version does what you need.

If you're still curious - there's a great video by @JoeM in the live training weekly (here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Live-Training/Live-Training-Using-the-Data-Cleansing-Macro/td-p/438...) that will tell you how to adapt the Data Cleanse tool to give you the option to just strip off  % signs, in case this is a very frequent need of yours.

Hope this helps - if so could you mark it as solved - and if not, feel free to come back with questions or updates on the workflow.

Cheers

Sean

charmrain
5 - Atom

Thanks for the quick reply.

i think there's a big problem with "Trim([field],"%")"

it will make 43.2% to 43.2 instead of 0.432. 

how could convert 43.2% to 0.432?

Thanks very much!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
ToNumber(trim(Field,"%"))/100

How about that? You can put that to a double data type or use select to modify the type.
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Got it - so if I understand correctly you want to :

- Treat things with % as a percentage, and then convert them back to fractions of 1 (e.g. 50% becomes 0.5)

- treat things without % as if they are already as fractions of 1?

Easy way to do this would be:

- Add a filter tool

- use the "Contains" and use %

- This way you get 2 streams of data - the ones with the % sign, and the ones without

- For the ones with the percentage sign - do exactly what we've done above (replace the % with blank, cleanse, fix type) - and then add in a formula tool to divide by 100

- for the ones without the percentage sign - just do the cleanse an fix type

- then use a union tool to stick both streams back together.

I've attached an updated workflow to demonstrate.

charmrain
5 - Atom

Hi Sean and 

thanks all of your kind help.

a new function marked as "simple solution" has been updated, i believe it's simpler for solving the mock case  :) 

Regards

Labels