Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Add a Count of the Number of Missing Values in each Row of Data

GauravRawal
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I came across a condition written like below in a Multi-Row formula tool where two IIF statements joined using an asterisk(*). Could someone explain the use of writing such statement?

IIF([value1]>0,1,Null())*IIF(id_person] == [Row-1:id_person],something, something)

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
They are multiplying.

If there is a positive value present it will have the true something result of the row above it. If it is the first row for that ID, it gets the false something.

When the value is not positive, it becomes null.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The statement:

IIF([value1]>0,1,Null())*IIF([id_person] == [Row-1:id_person],somethingA, somethingB)

is just equivalent to:

IIF([value1] > 0, IIF([id_person] == [Row-1:id_person],somethingA, somethingB), Null()) 

The only difference is in the second case the inner IIF is only evaluated if first is true.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

... or ...

IF [Value1] <= 0 THEN Null() 
ELSEIF [id_person] = [Row-1:id_person] THEN SomethingA ELSE SomethingB ENDIF
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
SorinDiaconescu
6 - Meteoroid

Guys, I have a data set and i want to count the number of columns where i have info ( text and date ). I have X columns, but i want to look only at the last 24 of them. Something like CountA ( AA1:BA1).  I couldnt find a simple formula.

thanks

Deb_dup_88
6 - Meteoroid

I also need to know how to count text or date fields; where I'd use COUNTA in Excel.

Labels