Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How could i combine multiple (master-detail) report snippets into a single Excel output?

stephs
7 - Meteor

Hello, I’ve got 27 files being processed, each by a different workflow that ends with the creation of two report table snippets, one with a single master record containing summary information about the file, the other is a detail set containing all the row level exceptions encountered in the file.  So I have 27 workflows that look more or less like this:

Capture.PNG

These report snippets get dumped to an excel file, to a single sheet in a recurring pattern of

master

detail

master

detail

...etc. times 27.

Each of the 27 * 2 report tables all have to be modified every time I need to make a formatting change, which is a real pain. Is there a best practice way to say, pass on the row output from each of these workflows to a single Summary and Detail report widget (which iterates through each of the 27 sets)?  That way I would only have to change 2 objects whenever I want to make a format change rather than in 54.

3 REPLIES 3
CoreyLong
6 - Meteoroid

Is the structure of all of the master tables the same? And are all of the detail tables the same structure as well? If so, you could just bring all 27 files into a single workflow, union the data sets together, and then use the Group By function in table tool to create 27 different master tables and 27 detailed tables. You'd have to create a flag using the Formula tool for the 27 different "categories" to group by.

stephs
7 - Meteor

hey, all of the input files have different specifications, hence the 27 different workflows. But all summary tables have the same spec, all detail tables have the same spec (but are different from the master table spec). I'd be union'ing pairs of dissimilar schemas. Does that still work? 

stephs
7 - Meteor

Thanks Corey, experimented with your suggestion and it worked great. 

Labels