Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How Unique determines which value to take

Jack_Nelson
7 - Meteor

I'm querying a server at certain points in time and trying to append any new rows/update changed values.  The information is continuous in time with datestamps for when something occurred and when a field was last updated.  To carry out the new output I thought the easiest approach would be to union the existing alteryx database with the queried data and taking the latest [update datestamp] row for every [event datestamp].  I thought this can be accomplished with the unique tool but wanted to confirm that it computes in a linear fashion (top to bottom) so when I sort in descending [update datestamp] by [event datestamp] it will populate the first row in the unique output. i.e. 

Update Datestamp       Event Datestamp

01/02/2017 11:22:33    01/01/2017 03:04:05  <-This line taken to "U" output in Unique Tool

01/01/2017 10:20:30    01/01/2017 03:04:05  <-Next 2 lines taken to "D" output in Unique Tool

01/01/2017 04:05:06    01/01/2017 03:04:05

1 REPLY 1
Jack_Nelson
7 - Meteor

Answered my own question...it appears that is exactly how the unique tool works.  I should have read the Tool Mastery | Unique page first.

Labels