Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Get Email Even if No Records

cbridges
11 - Bolide

I'd like to get an email after a join that gives me the record count of un-joined records, but if there aren't any un-joined records, I keep getting an error...

Error: Email (7): ComposerEmailInterface: Record#1 From Field is Empty

I've tried various methods to resolve this, like combining the matched and unmatched in a text formula like "X matched and Y unmatched records" but I can't seem to solve the problem. It's driving me a little crazy.

So I guess my question is, how can I get a field with no records to show up as zero?

The really weird part is that I have a browse at the same place in the chain as the email tool, and it's got no problems at all...

Report:
41 Matched Inv Prod Lines and Unmatched Inv Prod Lines
16 matched Book lines and unmatched Book lines and matched Boo

@thizviz
6 REPLIES 6
TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The Count Records tool: http://help.alteryx.com/current/index.htm#Macro-CountRecords.htm

This Macro returns a count of how many records are going through the tool.

This tool will come in handy when the user wishes to report on the resulting record count of a process. It will even return a count of zero which is a scenario that a Summarize tool will not handle.

Tara McCoy
cbridges
11 - Bolide

Perfect, thank you!

As a side note for others... also discovered another part of my problem. I had not designated the "From" address for the email!

@thizviz
blyons
11 - Bolide

Thank you for including your last sentence. The error "Record#1 From Field is Empty" was making me look in all the wrong places until I read what you wrote. I, too, was missing the "From" address.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @cbridges

I actually ran across this issue the exact opposite way - I was getting emails back even though I didn't want any.

When I plodded through this, it turned out that the reporting tool is kinda funny:

- if all you have in the e-mail is a table, then if there's no results in the table, then there's no rows in the data stream going to the e-mail ('cause the table acts as one row with a big object in it)

- if you add in a header, a footer, and a top-line with a record count - then suddenly you have 3 or 4 rows in your data stream, so even if you have no row in the table, the eMail component still has a non-zero record set to work with.

So for me this was a problem to fix rather than a feature :-) but for you this is exactly what you need.

Try this:

- Add a header

- Add a footer

- add report text saying something like "report run on dd/mm/yyyy - records returned 0"

Then you should have the ability to send zero-row record sets

Attached a mock-up for you to play with - just mess around with the filter on the front-end to either get zero or non-zero rows - but you should get an e-mail irrespective.

mmongeon
8 - Asteroid

This was very helpful!

I was running into this "Record#1 From Field is Empty" error message trying to send data formatted with the reporting tools in an e-mail.

I thought there was an issue with the Layout field I was passing into the Body of the e-mail, but it was about the From address being empty.

Once I figured that out, I was able to send the output formatted with the reporting tools in the body of an e-mail.

Thanks!

Ian_Lafford
5 - Atom

Thanks for posting - I was also scratching my head about this error, and like you, I hadn't put a "From" address. Not the most intuitive error message.....

Labels