Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fuzzy Match - Merge 2 sources - which output column is which source?

Saulius
5 - Atom

I have a list of manually entered countries, and am fuzzy matching it against my 'masterlist' of countries taken from wikipedia.

I've defined source ID and was hoping that output will look as follows:

- my wikipedia values will appear on the left (as 'country'), and

- manual entries will appear on the right (as 'country2').

However, left column seems to also have manually entered values, specifically "ITALY" and "UNITED KINGDOM" in capitals. Why is this the case?

I was then expecting to use join tool to compare my original list of manually entered values against the output of the fuzzy match to see what did not match. But I do not know which values in the fuzzy match output are the original ones.

Hopefully this makes sense. I've attached my sample workflow.

Saulius

2 REPLIES 2
AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Saulius,

I personally prefer to use a RecordID tool before I Fuzzy Match. Adding RecordID tools into your workflow, made the results cleaner. Please see your updated workflow attached. 

Best wishes,

Amelia

Saulius
5 - Atom

Thank you Amelia!

I like the recommendation to use RecordID for fuzzy matching. It also clearly shows me that master/wikipedia items are on the left, and manual entry items are on the right.

I've added one more tool to the workflow - Unique - after the first join. This ensures that I start with 193 manual entries, and I finish with 193 fixed entries. Hopefully this is useful to somebody as a template.

Thanks again!
Saulius

Labels