Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Function to get certain cell from different excel tabs

sagarpatel11
5 - Atom

Hi,

I imported 78 tabs from an excel using the Dynamic Input. All the tabs are formatted similarly but they don't have a header. I wanted to use the function that can take certain cells from each tab and put it in a different excel. Do someone know if that is possible?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

This is definitely something you can accomplish, and Alteryx is a great tool for doing so.

When you say certain cells from each tab, how would you define that? Are they in specific rows and columns, or are they data elements where a certain field has a value you are looking for?

sagarpatel11
5 - Atom

For example, each tab has investor info and I want to get some info but not all info from each tab. Like cell B4 has Investor Code and investor code is in same cell in each tab. I want to tell altreyx to go to each tab and grab that investor code and output in a different excel in a column "Investor Code".

Thanks,

Sagar.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Sounds good!

I've attached a really quick example of some very dummied up data.  Hopefully that will help you!

Basically, you can use Multi-Row Formula to assign a line number for each sheet (with dynamic input set to include the sheet name as an output field).  Then you can filter for certain lines or fields.

There's some more you can do with this concept to scale it up to handle many different fields, but this should be a starting point

sagarpatel11
5 - Atom

This gets me the whole row while what I want is just the info in that cell. For Example, I just want info from Cell B4. I dont want whole Row 4. Also, I am trying to get the info from B4 from different excel tabs that I imported. 

Claje
14 - Magnetar

So you should be able to use the Select Tool in order to only choose Column B as your final output, which would get you cell B4 only, and you can then put this together with other outputs to get your final results.

Another option might be the Transpose tool.  You could Use the LineNumber that the workflow creates as a "Key" field, and then use a filter of "LineNumber = 4 AND Name = "Field2", which would get you all "B4" Cells in your files.

Labels