Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula In-DB (The expression attribute is required)

etl_anu
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am getting an error "The expression attribute is required" in the Formula In-DB part when I try to run my workflow. Essentially what I am trying to do is to create a variable C from A and B which is for eg. C=(A-B)/B. The only component before the Formula In-DB component is the "Connect In-DB" component which is extracting the 3 columns - A, B and C and "Summarize In-DB" component where I am summing up A and B based on some dimensions .

Please let me know why I am receiving the error message and what can I do to correct it.

Thanks,

Anu

4 REPLIES 4
scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

What do you have in the SQL expression field.  Should be something like ("field1"/"Field2")/"Field1"

That error is usually when there is no expression.  Use the Insert Fields dropdown to fill in the correct available fields.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
etl_anu
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your response. I am getting the error even after using the "" in the SQL Expression dialogue box for the fields. So I have "B"-"C"/"C" in the SQL Expression Box. Am I missing something in the SQL Expression box?

Thanks,

Anu

scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

That looks correct and works for me connecting to a SQL database and on Spark.  What DB are you connecting to?  You could also try putting the query directly into the Connect In-DB tool using the Visual Query Builder or SQL editor to see if that works.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
etl_anu
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, it worked.

Labels