Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find Not Null Cells Within a Column and Replace with X

NicoleAM
7 - Meteor

I'm very new and not good with the expressions so I can't figure out how to find any cells within a column that contain text (are not null) and replace that text with "X". I thought find and replace would be the way to go, but couldn't figure that out. Then I thought it would be just an expression in the formula tool, but I don't know how to edit the expressions to be anything other than they read. I was thinking: IF c THEN t ELSE f ENDIF?

In the same below I want to replace (San Jose) with an X and leave the other cells in that column blank.

ZIP  Sales  SPH  Home ZIP
 60126  2000

60515  200  200  San Jose
 60559  500  20  San Jose
 85210  10000  700

Hopefully this IS as easy as I thought and someone can help me out! Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hello - you could set it to replace the existing value (e.g. for Home Zip), and in the Expression, try:

IF (IsNull([Home ZIP])) THEN

Null()

ELSE

"X"

ENDIF

NicoleAM
7 - Meteor

It throws an error and says "Unknown funtion "IF".

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I'm not sure why that would be.  I've attached a small workflow that should hopefully illustrate it better.

NicoleAM
7 - Meteor

Thanks, but I don't know how to open this. It opens in an internet tab and I can't right click to save it as a module it just has XML.

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Yep - does that for me to.  If you right-click on it and select "Save As" then it will save as a .yxmd file on your machine; then double-click to open in Alteryx.

NicoleAM
7 - Meteor

hmm I really don't get it then. When I right click all I get is the option to save the picture. I can't change the file type to anything other than XML or if I literally click on the picture Icon I can naturally save that as JPEG or Btmp but that is obviously not what I am trying to save!

I copied the expression you told me verbatim.

Thanks for trying!

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Please try right-clicking the little blue icon (not the paper clip image); then save that.  Hopefully that will take.  :-)

Capture.PNG

PamW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Try this

IF IsEmpty([Home ZIP]) THEN
   Null()
ELSE
   "X"
ENDIF

If the field is truly null you can use the following:

IF IsNull([Home ZIP]) THEN
   Null()
ELSE
   "X"
ENDIF

Note that in the below post there was an extra parenthesis before the IsNull() (shown in bold below)

IF (IsNull([Home ZIP]) THEN

Null()

ELSE

"X"

ENDIF

pamW
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

LOL... the one time I just write something out off the top of my head.  Busted.  Good catch and thanks!

(I've now corrected the error, also).

Labels