Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter one data set on the resultes of another query

unclebup
5 - Atom

I have one data set that has a numeric field: X -

There is another query on a different data set the returns a From field and a To field - I want to filter the first data set returning only records X that fall between From and To in the 2nd query.

The query on the 2nd data set is in Access for now.  The first data set is in the ODBC. 

The First data set is millions of records and we are looking for only a few thousand. What is the best method for returning the filtered data so it works quickly?  

3 REPLIES 3
MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@unclebup,

I think you could probably do this with and batch macro that utilizes some of the In-DB tools(for optimization). Maybe something like the following:

unclebup In_DB macro option.PNG

Where you are connecting to your first data set In-Db and inputting your To and From into the control parameter to update the In-DB filter.

Hope this helps,

MSalvage

mcarrico
9 - Comet

You also may be able to use a standard input to pull your record count number, and a subsequent dynamic input to modify a WHERE clause based on the results of your first input.  

unclebup
5 - Atom

Your solution looks like the right approach. I'm still new to Alteryx and have not used these tools yet.  I'll have to play with it a little

Thanks!

@MSalvage wrote:

@unclebup,

I think you could probably do this with and batch macro that utilizes some of the In-DB tools(for optimization). Maybe something like the following:

unclebup In_DB macro option.PNG

Where you are connecting to your first data set In-Db and inputting your To and From into the control parameter to update the In-DB filter.

Hope this helps,

MSalvage

Labels