Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter Node Question

arunchandra
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

I am trying to pick and choose rows for the filter node using the following condition..

when job title contains  = manager or supervisor or technician or director....etc...

Can you please let me know the expression for this...

Thanks,

Arun

2 REPLIES 2
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey Arun,

Try this format - this is using the fields from weekly challenge 6, so you'll have to change the field names, but the format of the condition is the same for you:

Contains([Airport City],"New") or Contains([Airport City],"Orlando") or Contains([Airport City],"Chicago")

So for you:

Contains([Job Title],"manager") or contains ([Job Title],"Supervisor")

There is another way that I can think of to do this, if this list becomes too long or you're worried about maintenance:

- Create a list in a text input tool of all of these positions, and in column 2 use a very unique text like "~~~"

- Then use the find replace tool to replace any of your key words below with this text ~~~

- That way, if you want to add another key-word it's very quick (just pop it onto the list), and your filter tool becomes very simple 'cause any job title containing ~~~ is part of the set you want.

Hopefully this gets you to a solution - if so, would you mind marking this as solved, or otherwise just reply on the thread and we can work this through

Cheers

Sean

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Sean's got it nicely but maybe another solution that would be just as easy, would be to use Sean's idea of using a separate text/csv file that is updated and then what you can also do is to use the join tool to join your dataset to the list and what I like about this option then is that I have essentially 3 different options (inner, left, right joins) to use if I may need them and that external txt/csv file is simple and easy to add to. Maybe something to try, but I could easily see using Sean's way too! 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels