Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Emails not being sent when scheduler is used

Farhana91
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Team,

This is regarding the "Event-Email" Section under "Workflow-Configuration.
I scheduled a workflow, had an email event saved to send out the email to a group ID.
The workflow completed successfully but did not send out the emails.
Is there any specific series of steps I need to add ?

Thanks,
Farhana

10 REPLIES 10
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Farhana91

What have you selected within the 'Run Event When' dropdown? 

pic1.png

Did the workflow error at all?

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Farhana91
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jordan,

Thank you for the reply.

I am using both the options:

"After run without errors" - To send an email that the workflow is complete without errors.

"After run with errors" - To send an email that the workflow is complete with error(meaning- the data has issues, so please check the data).

I have triggered two events for the same workflow. Based on the above two conditions.

Regards,

Farhana

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Farhana91

I have double checked the config on my machine and cannot replicate.

Can you check with your email domain before a group ID to verify this is not an email domain issue?

Are you using autodetect or use SMTP server option?

In your messages once the workflow completes do you see any info regarding the email event:

pic2.png

Best,

Jordan

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey  @Farhana91

The simple check that you can do to see if e-mail is working at all - is drop some text into a text input, then drop a reporting table, and then an e-mail component.

This will allow you to check if your e-mail connectivity is working in the first place (run it from designer)

If this works - then the next step is to see if the events work when run from desktop designer - again, just build a simple 2 step workflow (text input and browse) and set up these events with e-mail.

Finally - if this works - then publish this same 2-step workflow to the gallery & scheduler - this will tell you if the issue is occurring on the connectivity on the Alteryx Server.

Let us know how this simple troubleshoot process goes, and perhaps there may be an easy answer in there.

Thanks

Sean

Farhana91
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jordan,

The workflow gets completed without any issues.

I am using AutoDetect server option

I can see the desired output being generated.

But, in spite of the events(emails) being saved it is not sending out mails.

Also, the important difference to notice is - It works fine when I am manually refreshing it. the emails are sent out. But when the workflow is scheduled, the output is generated but no emails are being sent out.

Regards,

Farhana

Farhana91
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Sean,

Thank you for the reply.

It is working perfectly when I am running the workflow manually- it sends out the email after the completion . But when the workflow is on scheduler, the desired output is generated but the emails are not being sent.

There lies the problem.

Thanks,

Farhana

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Farhana91,

Sorry for the additional question - but when you say that you're getting a good e-mail outcome when running manually - are you running it manually from your local gallery, or are you running it from the designer?

The thought that's going through my mind is that you may have an authentication issue when running this from scheduler because it's running in the security context of the Alteryx gallery.

Very easy to test this theory - add an e-mail reporting component (take any of your data sets; add a table; add an e-mail component, set to send to you and from you), and then run this in the scheduler.

If this e-mail report fails to send, then my guess is that it's a security context issue with the gallery logging in under an ID which is not recognized by your e-mail server.    If this e-mail report sends OK but the after-run-event e-mail does not send then I'm baffled.

CC: @NickJ 

NickJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi everybody,

When you go to your Options> Advanced Options> System Settings and check the configuration of the Worker's Run As Settings, have you entered the same credentials here that you use on your regular Windows account? This way, whenever the scheduler kicks off a job it'll pick up your credentials when it runs (rather than just the Alteryx service itself). 

Cheers!
Nick

Nick Jewell | datacurious.ai
Farhana91
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

Thank you for your time and trying to sort the issue. I have found out the solution.

I had saved the events (emails) after scheduling the workflow in the scheduler. So my mails were not going out.

After I have saved the workflow, first I made sure I have saved the events. After this I scheduled the workflow in the scheduler. That's when the entire process was complete and the emails were sent as well.

Regards,

Farhana :)

Labels