Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically Adding empty column

yashd
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone, hope you guys doing well. 

I have been facing this issue for long time. I am getting API data and its always the case where they +-2 columns and when I try to marry all these files together it’s just not happening. Basically, I just want to add to formula or something where it will dynamically add additional columns even if that columns has no value. Just so that when I merge all these different from same API it can be done quickly without me going selecting every single file and then using union tool.

Example.

One file has column names as type 1, 2 ,3 and other file has type 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and other has type 1,2,3,4.

Just if they all have max columns till type 9 as column in the file even if its empty would be great.
Thank you in advance and really appreciate your time

2 REPLIES 2
TonyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @yashd

I've attached an example that uses a text input tool (annotated Master) that contains all the columns you will need for all inputs. You will want to attach that text input to the union first so that it uses it's column names as the output. Follow this up with attaching the 3 other input files with data.

Let me know if this helps!

gc-804
7 - Meteor

Hi @TonyM,

I happened to run into a similar situation. The resolution you provided worked like a charm for me.

Thank you!

Labels