Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic input issue - problem with "in" clause?

alex_reevoo
8 - Asteroid

Hello all,

I'm running a dynamic input tool to replace id's for different "branches"

A clause might look something like this: in(708,2594,108) 

A sample input file is attached, as is my workflow.

For some reason, the dynamic input is having trouble populating the data for all rows. It gives field conversion errors which might be the cause but I can't figure out why it isn't working consistently.

conversion error.PNG

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alex

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
This error indicates that you've defined a field as numeric, but it contains a value like: 1,234.00

Alteryx will convert that to 1

You will need to replace all commas with nothing before converting to a number.
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
alex_reevoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi Marquee,

Thanks for your response.

If I go ahead and do that, won't Alteryx recognise the different branch ID's in a cell as a single number?

For instance: 607,11,803 would now be recognised as 60711803?

Cheers!

Alex

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Using the IN clause in the dynamic input, it expects the values for the IN clause to be in "vertical" format (i.e., one per record) and then it combines them and inserts the appropriate commas.

Since you have your data already configured with the IN values in a single record with commas, you should change the Modify SQL Query expression from "Update a WHERE clause" to "Replace a Specific String". This way it will just replace your "123,123,123..." with the string value in your target_branch_code field, and it will run as is.

alex_reevoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi Rod,

Solution exactly matched what I needed - thank you!

Alex

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

what if the field you were inputting the results into was an interger field? I.E. no ability to concatenate a string (it's a number)

ewelch531
7 - Meteor

This post really helped me. I was trying to concatenate my records first with apostrophes and commas already added. So the dynamic input tool kept added more apostrophes and I couldn't figure it out. This is great the tool does all the work for you!

Labels