Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Select Based on a Multi-Row Formula

dprice
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I'm preparing data for an Excel file. Some of the fields require data, but some are calculated fields. The calculated fields have formulas in Row 2. For my Alteryx preparation workflow, I am trying to dynamically select only those fields where Row 2 is null(). Is that possible? 

Thank you in advance, 

Dan

6 REPLIES 6
DanS
9 - Comet

Hey Dan, 

Is something like the attached the direction you were thinking? 

If not, could you throw some sample data into a spreadsheet so I could get a better idea of what you're looking for? 

Thanks

dprice
7 - Meteor

Not exactly. I'm looking to select (or deselect, rather) fields if row 2 is populated. The attached is what I'm trying to automate (done manually). In the example, Field 2 and 4 are blank. Those are the only 2 fields I need. 

DanS
9 - Comet

Gotcha, what about the attached workflow? 

It's working for X amount of fields if the field next to it is blank. 

Only caveat is that it won't work if you're data is similar to this:

field_example.jpg

The whole column would have to be blank. 

Is that more what you were looking for?

DanS
9 - Comet

Gotcha, what about the attached workflow? 

It's working for X amount of fields if the field next to it is blank. 

Only caveat is that it won't work if you're data is similar to this:

field_example.jpg

The whole column would have to be blank. 

Is that more what you were looking for?

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I've done a bit of work using Dan S's piece as a starting point, this should take you too where I believe you want to be.

Ben

dprice
7 - Meteor

You guys rock, thank you! I was thinking about Transpose/Crosstab as a solution and couldn't totally visualize a fix. I think I was missing the boat on the Select Records portion of it. Thanks again!

-Dan

Labels