Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input appends file extension to file name and errors

P_5000
5 - Atom

I have a directory input feeding a dynamic input tool. The directory contains only the xml files for processing.

Dynamic Input tool config as follows:

- Input Data Source Template value is one of the xml files

- Radio button 'Read a List of Data Sources' is selected

-Field: FileName

-Action:Change File/Table Name

When the process runs the Dynamic Input tool throws an error: File not found "\\test\path\test_1.xml.xml". It appears to be appending .xml to the FileName then attempting to find that file, which of course it cannot.

Is this a bug or am I using the tool in the wrong context/config?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Could you set the Dynamic Input to "Change Entire File Path", and then the "Full Path" field from the Directory tool's fields?

P_5000
5 - Atom

Thanks, this worked. Before I read this I created a workaround -  a filter between the dir input and dynamic input tools to remove the extension from the filename, which also works

Kdpalmer
8 - Asteroid

Hi John -- This was very helpful for me as well.  Can you advise what exactly the designer is thinking when you have "change file/table name" selected?  I tried to use a wildcard * for mine to use a .csv as a template in my dynamic input and it re-appended the full name of the file.  It only worked when I selected change entire file path.

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @Kdpalmer,

I think, perhaps, that field has been useful for people processing tabs in a spreadsheet, and/or files of all the same type in a single directory, that has been useful. For me - coming from a programming background, I always want to specify as much detail as possible anyway, eliminating as much assumption as possible, so I always used the full path replacement from day one.

Hope that helps,

John

Labels