Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

DateTimeFirstOfMonth() Filter

DataBlender
11 - Bolide

I've just noticed something when using DateTimeFirstOfMonth() that I hadn't seen before.

If I have a filter on a date field with an expression:

[Date] < DateTimeFirstOfMonth()

and my Date is 2017-02-01, first of month is 2017-02-01, I would expect this record to be outputted as false since it is not before that date. However, it is outputted as true.

If I do the same but change my data type to datetime, the record is now outputted as false.

Obviously the datatype is making a difference but I'd expect consistent output between the two.

2 REPLIES 2
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Here are some to consider:

Date data type vs Date data type:

"2017-04-01" < "2017-04-01"

results in False, because they are the same value

DateTime data type vs DateTime data type:

"2017-04-01 00:00:00" < "2017-04-01 00:00:00"

results in False, because they are the same value

Date data type vs DateTime data type:

"2017-04-01" < "2017-04-01 00:00:00"

results in True, because they are not technically the same value. The Date has a Null value for Time, while the DateTime has a value of zero for the Time. If you sort Null vs zero, the Null will be sort as first.

Apparently to Alteryx, a Date with Null Time is less than the same DateTime with a zero for Time.

The function DateTimeFirstOfMonth() will return a DateTime date type value, maybe what we need is a function for DateFirstOfMonth that returns a Date data type value.

Currently all built-in DateTime functions return a DateTime data type, and I do not know of a built-in function to convert a DateTime to a Date data type.

Although thanks to @jdunkerley79 we can do what you need with his Alteryx Formula Add Ins at https://jdunkerley.co.uk/2016/05/15/alteryx-formula-add-ins-v1-1/

Then you can write an expression like:

[Date]<TODATE(DateTimeFirstOfMonth())

and it will behave exactly how you expect it to because it is comparing a Date data type vs a Date data type.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
@Joe_Mako 's response is tremendously comprehensive - only thing I'd add is that you can always cheat a bit when working with dates:

If you have a date-time that you're comparing to a date - and you format the date in YYYY-MM-DD format, then they sort perfectly as strings.
So convert both to strings in format YYYY-MM-DD; and then trim both back to 10 characters and then this will do the trick too.

BTW - this is also a sneaky way to get the first of the major date-time periods too in any platform (we used to do this a lot in SQL) - for example, to get the first of a month, just trim the same date back to 8 characters (YYYY-MM-) and then add "01" on the end (to get YYYY-MM-01), and then you have a cheap and quick way to get the date on the first of any month.
Labels