Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data blending

JasmineGilbert
5 - Atom

Hi - I am a new Alteryx user so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I typically do these things in excel but I am wanting to use Alteryx to get this done. I have two (excel) spreadsheets:

1. Customer Data ( individual customer data )

2. Column ID ( identifies the column from Customer data that applies to a particular category )

The problem is: each time i receive the Customer Data sheet, I get different column headers. The headers vary by source. This is why I am using another spreadsheet to identify the column (Column ID).

Now for my question: How do I use this Column ID sheet to pull in the Customer Data under the new headers? I am open to all suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi JC1,

Here is a solution I have designed for you.

Essentially the proccess involves getting a letter field position for your customer data, which can be done using a  combination of the field info tool, record ID tool and then the formula function CharFromInt().

We can then simply bring in your second table and do a lookup for our new headers.

There may be a simpler way and i'll keep thinking about that.

See the attached workflow and let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Ben

JasmineGilbert
5 - Atom

Thanks for your help on this, Ben! This works, but it most cases the column exceed the Char limit and goes as far as column AA or  even CZ. Would it be better if use the column number? The user will add in the column letter and the number will populate. 

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

No problem that's what we are here for!

Agree yes that would be the best way to go about it if we go beyond the standard 26 letters.

If we use numbers instead then it would simply be a case of removing the charformint formula and instead joining on the row number instead.

I've attached the workflow amended for your new data.

Ben

JasmineGilbert
5 - Atom

Thank you! It works fine.

JasmineGilbert
5 - Atom

Ben, Another question: I may have null values from my Column ID Import sheet. Is there a way to still bring in the column header?

Labels