Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating 'dashed' lines between points

robsuddaby
7 - Meteor

I'm creating goal build-up charts in Tableau and have encountered one issue with the data that I can't quite work out how to overcome.

I've got a number of rows for each part of the build up, representing the players and their involvement in the goal. Currently my data has the position from where they play a pass/cross or take a shot in the form of start position x and y and end position x and y. I've split the two parts and stacked on top of each other and created a path so that I can draw the lines, as seen below.

The issue I have is that after receiving a pass, some players move with the ball before passing it on and this isn't captured in the data. I can get round this by calculating a rolling path id for each of the points to connect all of them (i.e. point 1 is path 1, point 5 is path 5 and so on) but the visualisation is confusing and I'd like to be able to better draw attention to the players movement. 

The way I thought of to get round this is to draw lines between the previous XY and the new XY and then split them into numerous lines to create a dashed line effect. However, I can't work out how I would be able to do this, as it would involve creating new rows and inserting them between the existing rows.

Does anyone have any ideas about the best approach for 1) creating these additional rows and 2) splitting the newly created lines? Much obliged!

With Dotted Lines.png

14 REPLIES 14
robsuddaby
7 - Meteor
Ah ok, thanks I see what you mean. Maybe simply changing increments of 0 to 0.001 etc. might get round the issue?

Sent from my iPhone
robsuddaby
7 - Meteor

Hi there, just getting back round to looking at this after a few crazy weeks. I managed to overcome a weird issue where some rows where incrementing 1 more in either x or y than the numrows column was telling it to (used a row id to remove the excess rows) but still suffering with the previous issue which is stopping me from running many of the matches :( Any further thoughts at all?

Much appreciated!

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Without trying it to make sure, how about a filter before each generate rows tool (X-Increment!=0). The false would then go to a generate rows that just has something like

TempRowCount=TempRowCount+1 Until Condition: TempRowCount=NumRows.

You would just need to then work out how to put the records back in the right place...

DataBlender
11 - Bolide

@robsuddaby have a go with this one and see how you get on.

Cheers

robsuddaby
7 - Meteor

@DataBlender @KaneG thank you both so much for your help, this now eventually works perfectly! 

Huge apologies for the delay in responding, I didn't get notified of your replies and then was away so only saw this at the weekend and have just now got it working :)

Thanks again!

Labels