Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting string to Date

pvara
8 - Asteroid

I have the following string that I have been trying to convert to date. 'October 28, 2015, 11:33 AM ET' I have tried using the various tools within Alteryx and simple forumula tool. Basically all I want is either 28-10-2015 OR October 28, 2015. 

thank you

7 REPLIES 7
Ned
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

There are 2 basic ways you can do it.

1. String processing.  Use a Regular Expression or similar formula to extract the part you want.
  2. Date Processing.  Convert it into a standard Alteryx date and the format it back as a string.  This could be done in a single formula tool, or multiple Date tools.

Attached is a module that demostrates both techniques. 

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

i would like to To Add on more to Ned's Solution, you can use the formula tool to parse your date and format your date.

@ned, i used your workflow and added Formule portion.

Alteryx has Many solution for one problem :)

@Pvara, you can refer the below Link for datetime pasring 

http://downloads.alteryx.com/Alteryx8.6.2/WebHelp/Reference/DateTimeFunctions.htm

pvara
8 - Asteroid

Thank you the Regex worked however I did get a error when running the Convert Field.

Henrik
6 - Meteoroid

I have a String column in format dd.mm.yyyy and I want to convert that to date datatype. Result: dd.mm.yyyy (Date)

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Henrik,

The Alteryx date type is always in the configuration YYYY-MM-DD. So if you are wanting to get it into a Date type field to do calculations, filtering, etc. based on it being a Date type, it will need to be converted to that using DateTimeParse (with "%d.%m.%Y" specifiers). 

If you want to maintain your original format for presentation purposes, you could just add a field parsed into a Date type, use that for any calcs or filters, and then unselect it further down the workflow.

jasonharper
5 - Atom

Thx... that was helpful.

I needed to treat a string formatted like 1995-12 as December of 1995.

In the Forumla tool I used:

DateTimeParse([MyDateField], "%YYYY-%mm")

and just like that, it worked.

RogerA
8 - Asteroid

@RodL  can i just check, are you saying that the field currently set as string has to be changed to a date/time field before you attempt the date/time parse?

Labels