Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting a concatenated string variable into columns with booleans

talks2rocks
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

I'm kind of new to Alteryx and haven't yet gotten the hang of manipulated tables in the program

I was wondering if anyone knows of an efficient way to convert a variable that is a concatenation of non-exclusive attributes (such as a variable named  keywords that looks like this: "1920's|antique|american")  into columns with a binary variable (variables named keyword_1920's , keyword_antique and keyword_american  that are either TRUE or FALSE. 

First, I would need to find all the unique keywords currently concatenated in the various keywords strings 

Second, I would need to turn them into columns and append them somehow to the table. 

Third I would need to populate the fields of the newly created columns with TRUE or FALSE based on the keyword appearing in the concatenated string of that row.

Any Ideas?

Thank you,

Talks2Rocks

13 REPLIES 13
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@NicoleJohnson,

This was very clever.  I'm looking forward to inspire all the more.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Better?

Though I think @NicoleJohnson has beat me to it :)

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
talks2rocks
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you Nicole! This is just what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Talks2Rocks 

talks2rocks
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for all the help! 

Cheers,

Talks2Rocks 

Labels