Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Collapse Dates into ranges

samkp
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I want to know if I can collapse dates?

Input

MEMBERCOVERAGE PERIOD

M15/1/2015
M16/1/2015
M17/1/2015
M18/1/2015
M19/1/2015
M110/1/2015
M111/1/2015
M13/1/2016

Output

MEMBERSTART SERVICESTOP SERVICE
M15/1/201512/1/2015
M13/1/20164/1/2016

I don't want to use the Min and Max as it will not give the break downs in the periods. Can the above output be achieved?

5 REPLIES 5
Storm
9 - Comet

As with everything in Alteryx, multiple approaches are possible. Here's mine.

• First, sort by member number and coverage period (both ascending).
  • Next, insert multi-record tool, title field STOP SERVICE. Format as date. Formula is:
    IF [MEMBER] = [Row-1:MEMBER] and DateTimeDiff([COVERAGE PERIOD],[Row-1:COVERAGE PERIOD],"months") = 1
    then DateTimeadd([COVERAGE PERIOD],1,"months")
    else null() endif
  • Next, a second multi-record tool, title field START SERVICE. Format as date. Formula is:
    IF [MEMBER] = [Row-1:MEMBER]
    and DateTimeDiff([COVERAGE PERIOD],[Row-1:COVERAGE PERIOD],"months") = 1
    and !isnull([STOP SERVICE]) then [Row-1:START SERVICE]
    else [COVERAGE PERIOD] endif
  • Next, a summarize tool. Group by MEMBER, then START SERVICE, and get the MAX of STOP SERVICE. Title this field STOP SERVICE within the summarize tool.
  • Finally, add a formula tool, have it look at STOP SERVICE, and apply this formula:

if isnull([STOP SERVICE]) then DateTimeadd([START SERVICE],1,"months") else [STOP SERVICE] ENDIF

Test it out, examine the outputs at various steps, make sure it's doing what you want. I tested it with success on your dataset, then I expanded your dataset, adding other members, and other months, all out of sequence. Output seemed correct to me.

Storm
9 - Comet

Example workflow attached.

ax_comm_scrnsht_collapse_dates.png

samkp
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @Storm. Your solution is excellent. 

I am kinda having trouble with the "STOP" function..See attached excel sheet. I am guessing it has to do with way to sort but I tried to my level best..and still couldn't get the o/p. Any help on this is greatly appreciated!!

Not all records are of same scenario. The logic works where the where the row-1 record date is greater than the row date (example "transfer to" rows from the i/p file) but there are some records where the row-1 record date is less than the row date (transfer from rows from the i/p file).. Can we include both the scenarios in the logic?

samkp
6 - Meteoroid

See attached workflow

samkp
6 - Meteoroid

I kinda played around and found the solution

Labels