Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can I use Alteryx to process every file in a directory?

pupmup
7 - Meteor

Hi there,

I'm migrating many things over from Excel.

One of the current tools I have is a VBA macro that sweeps through any .csv file in a directory and changes it depending on certain hard coded criteria. All the files have identical layout.

Obviously scripting the changes that need to be made can be done in Alteryx ("if this row contains that, then put this here" etc), but I'm not sure how to tell Alteryx to process every file in a folder.

As an additional complication, after each of the 200 or so .csv files are processed, I'd like them combined into a new single file. Can this be done? The output command would need to be "Create this file (but if it exists, simply append instead)".

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @pupmup

What you want here is the Directory Tool followed by the Dynamic Input Tool.

If processing needs to be done on each file and can't be done in bulk, the easiest way is to create a Batch Macro. There is an example of a Batch Macro in 'Help > Sample Workflows > Macro Samples'.

Kane

pupmup
7 - Meteor

Thank you!

Labels