Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Analytic app incorporating some data preparation steps

sg1207
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone,

need your help in building up an analytic app which will cover up the following tools--

1. first of all, it will call an excel file as input.

2. say the input has 4 or 5 or more variables, the user will get list of all variable names and will keep only one variable.

3. next step is he/she will rename the variable as per wish.

4. Will remove all the duplicate and missing values, if  any.

5. the final step is will put record ID for the existing observations and store the output.

To keep things simpler, I've attached one sample case.

All I want is that the user will see all the variables, drop all variables except "vendor_name" and rename it "supplier_name" and do the further processing.

I know this is pretty simple if I prepare an workflow, but seeking expert suggestions so that many user can use it easily.

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @sg1207

See if this set up works for you

Rename App.PNG@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

So you will need two interface tools, the drop down tool and the text box tool.

Image.png

You can then simply overwrite placeholders that you would have in the 'select' tool (to select only one field and rename it accordingly), and also the summerize tool, where you group by the variables, and finally the filter tool to remove missing values.

Example attached.

Ben

sg1207
6 - Meteoroid
thanks Ben!

this macro works fine. But what if the variable name changes in my input file. say, my input has variable "vendor_full_name", in that case the macro will throw an error.
any clue on how to fix that!
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

@sg1207

Did you try my version?

I compensated for any name changes

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

sg1207
6 - Meteoroid
hi @LordNeilLord

Thanks for the quick response.
However not able to open up the workflow as I'm using an older version 11.5.
The version upgradation seems diffIcult in my office environment.

Any quick remedy for that?
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Here we go!

sg1207
6 - Meteoroid
still not working @LordNeilLord!
just asking, have you used any functionality which is available only in the latest version?
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

No, standard tools..what error do you get?

sg1207
6 - Meteoroid
"This workflow was created by a more recent version of Alteryx, and may contain tools not present in the version. Alteryx does not support usng an earlier version of Alteryx to open a workflow created with a newer version. For best result, download the latest version of Alteryx.
Do you still want to attempt?"

if i click OK now, it's not opening..
Got the same message while opening the sample macro which Ben shared, but it did open after hitting OK.!
Labels