Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Analytic app incorporating some data preparation steps

sg1207
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone,

need your help in building up an analytic app which will cover up the following tools--

1. first of all, it will call an excel file as input.

2. say the input has 4 or 5 or more variables, the user will get list of all variable names and will keep only one variable.

3. next step is he/she will rename the variable as per wish.

4. Will remove all the duplicate and missing values, if  any.

5. the final step is will put record ID for the existing observations and store the output.

To keep things simpler, I've attached one sample case.

All I want is that the user will see all the variables, drop all variables except "vendor_name" and rename it "supplier_name" and do the further processing.

I know this is pretty simple if I prepare an workflow, but seeking expert suggestions so that many user can use it easily.

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Thats odd!

Are you sure you're on 11.5?

I've attached a version downgraded to 11

sg1207
6 - Meteoroid
Worked finally and perfectly!

Really appreciated!

one thing, can you please explain the purpose of putting transpose and crosstab! I mean, how these tools are adding value to the pgrm!

anyways, thanks a ton for the support!
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

So my thinking behind the transpose is, you don't know which column the user will choose and what they will rename it to. Adding the transpose makes removes the need to search through the columns looking for the correct header....plus if you then employ the join tool (rather than select) you will automatically remove all of the "columns" that you dont need.

Crosstab just puts it back in it's original format.

The tricky bit with something like this is tools like select and summarize need you to explicitly say which column you want to change or group by. So transpose helps here as well because the columns just end up being called Name & Value....easy.

Labels