Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

4gb txt file without delimiter to open in alteryx

deepaksadija85
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

Can any one help me as i have 4gb one txt file with no delimiter i am trying to put that in alteryx but as there is no delimiter alteryx is giving me error.

Any solution for this. Help is much appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Please use the Null delimiter, \0

Also, be sure that record length is long enough.

Thanks,
Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
deepaksadija85
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your reply. I have used it I am getting all the data in one column after this not able to split it in different columns as there is no delimiter.

Please suggest.

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Can you share a few lines of the file?  There are a number of things that can be used as a delimiter if it's a multi-line file you could use newline "\n", or even space " ".

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

deepaksadija85
6 - Meteoroid

I am not able to open the file. I have scheme of file like header name , number of characters of each columns etc in separate documents. Is there a way that I can use that and prepare data in alteryx.

DanS
9 - Comet

Have you tried using Space as a delimiter? 

Without having any sample of the data, it's a shot in the dark, but this could help if there aren't multiple spaces in one field.

Thanks,

Dan

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

If you have a 'schema' file that tells you, for example, that "ZIP Code" is the first field and it goes from position 1 to position 5, it sounds to me like you have a fixed width file.

To import this type of file, choose "Flat ASCII file" instead of "Comma-Delimited" as your File Format in the Input Data tool.

This will bring up a "ruler" that will allow you to manually set the field definitions using the values in your schema file. I've included a picture.

If you have a large number of fields to specify, you can create a ".flat" file that Alteryx can use to read in the data. There's a help topic on this here: FlatFile.

The easier way to figure out how the .flat file is created is to take a small dataset that you know well and use the Output Data tool to export to the Flat ASCII file format. This automatically makes both a data and a schema file.

deepaksadija85
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you Tom for sharing your thoughts. It worked for me.

Al_rcd
5 - Atom

Thanks, your answer help me to resolve my problem

sullivanj2
6 - Meteoroid

@tom_montpool

Once you've set up this flat file as your schema, is there a way to use it without having to select it again as your delimiter file whenever you update the input file?

Thanks

Labels