Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Welcome & Introductions

Get to know the people behind the avatar! Introduce yourself, welcome peers, build connections & extend your network.

Take a moment to introduce yourself to the Community. We'd love to get to know you!

Learn More

ultrarunner

ultrarunner
8 - Asteroid

Hello @davechndr and everyone,

My name is June. I am a CPA currently working for a public accounting firm. I completed my core certification last month and am working on advanced level, which is very challenging. I started learning Alteryx when I joined my current firm a few month ago. Data becomes an important skill set that professional accountants must have today. That's why I am here. Hope to learn a lot from you. 

Thank you,

June

2 REPLIES 2
davechndr
9 - Comet

Hello June!

Like you, I am an accountant, even though not a CPA -I do need to pursue that, but I am holding off a couple of years, until PwC is willing to cover a majority of the exam fees, expenses relating to study material and registration fees. I have a question for you (as a CPA):

Is it better to sit for the CPA exam soon after you get your degree in accounting or finance? (I hear the earlier, the better off you are and the more likely you are to pass the exam.)

Anyhow, you are absolutely correct in saying that data is extremely important for us accountants, and visuals help people in the profession analyze and draw valid conclusions from data.

I find Alteryx useful in the sense that it can deal with data tables, that are much larger than Excel or Access, and work with it in very creative ways. Alteryx is just some data analytics program which is like the middleman between Excel and Access, and is extremely powerful!

Congratulations on passing the Core Exam and best of luck to you!

My very best,

- Dave Chandra

@davechndr

WillTravelForData
8 - Asteroid

I took the exam the year after I graduated and would recommend taking sooner rather than later.  You may not use much of the material on the exam in your daily job duties.  You will start forgetting the material you learned in college as it gets replaced with details from your daily work.  I made the CPA exam the second priority after work. I paid for review course and a boot camp the week before the exam out of my own funds.   I studied every night and took practice tests often.  I only left the house to get in some exercise and fresh air.  About a month before the exams, I knew the material so well that I was almost bored and just anxious to sit for the exam to see how I would do.  I passed all four sections on my first sitting.    If you can devote the time, I would start studying now so you can get CPA exams behind you.  It is a valuable credential and will serve you well for decades both professionally and financially.  Alteryx and Tableau may be hot skill set for 10-15 years but popular software usually gets replaced eventually.  I really like Alteryx and hope to use it a lot in the next decade.  However, the CPA license likely is more valuable in the long run.

Labels