community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

community Lounge

Get to know your fellow analytics buffs and discuss a wide range of topics!

Enable/Disable a Tool Container

Asteroid

Hi,

Can someone please help to enable or disable a tool container based on the output. 

I wanted to disable the container if no output is being generated and enable it if some output is being generated. 

Regards,

Akash

Alteryx Certified Partner

Enabling/Disabling tool containers is only possible through interface+Action tools, and not from the datastream in the workflow. Disabling tool containers based on the datastream would require a chained application where that data is passed to a second application that controls the container with an Action tool. 

Could you tell us more about your workflow? If there's no data to output (no records), the Output/Render tool will not write anything. If it is a condition of the entire dataset, then that value can be appended to all records and a filter can control if any records are passed to the output or not. 

Asteroid

@CharlieS 

I wanted to disable the container is there are no records in the output. However, if there are records being generated in the output then I would need an output file to be generated.

Regards,

Akash

Does anything take place in this tool container other than the Output? If not, then there's no need to disable the container since no record scenarios will produce no output. 

Asteroid

Yes there are other tools which shows errors if there are no records generated. So I have to put some tools in the container other than the output tool. 

If those tools have to be there, then you could create a dummy record to satisfy those tools, but gets filtered out before the Output tool.