Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx is not importing unit of weight (KG) when I input data from excel!

Ngarg
5 - Atom

Hi,

I am inputting data in Alteryx from excel which contains a field called 'Weight' and is in the custom number format (example: 10,000 KG).

alteryx doubt.jpg

When I input the file in Alteryx, it is only importing the number and not the unit (10,000). 

How do I get it to import both the number and the unit as present in excel? Changing the format in excel is not an option for me. so the change has to be done in alteryx only.

Thanks in advance!!

2 REPLIES 2
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @Ngarg,

In Excel, it maintains data in the grid, and it will display the data however you want, but the data is still numeric behind the scenes. Alteryx just processes the data and isn't too concerned about how that data was displayed in Excel. You can always use a Formula field to generate a string that represents the exact display you're after, however it would then be a string and no longer numeric: you would only do that sort of thing as a last step in the "display prep" for a report, say.

It would be kinda cool if Alteryx allowed a "default display" metadata property for any field, such that when you see it in the browse tool, it would apply the given formatting for you all the time, but that would be an enhancement request.

Hope that helps!

John

Ngarg
5 - Atom

Thanks a lot @JohnJPS.

This explains the issue clearly!

Labels