General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Alteryx Community | What motivates you to participate?

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

GOT THOUGHTS.png

Happy Thursday!

It's been 12 weeks since we first introduced the Thursday Thought, and I figured it was about time that we posed a question about our Community.

Motivation comes in all shapes and sizes. It can be driven by personality, expectations, ambition, rewards, gender, age, needs, wants, desires, skills… the list goes on and on…

Question:

What motivates you to participate in the Alteryx Community?

Feel free to include as much or as little information as you like. All “thoughts” are welcome & encouraged!

8 REPLIES 8
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I think the community here has maintained a very positive, upbeat vibe about it.  Nobody harangues anyone for a repeated question or even a not-quite-correct answer: corrections are made politely.  This invites participation and worry-free posting.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@JohnJPS said it so well that I almost didn't reply.  I did however get a chance to dust off my dictionary to better understand the word, "harangues".  I now feel better about myself knowing that John does consider me part of the polite crowd.

For those who haven't noticed, I'm a BIG fan of Alteryx.  I enjoy the opportunity to help others and encourage others to join in the conversation.  It's rewarding to share with others as I get an opportunity to learn with most posts.  When alternative solutions are suggested, I get to see outside of my own perspective.  While there are many questions that I think that I know the answer to when I read them, often twists and challenges present themselves where I learn something new in the process.

I'm certain to see old friends like@JohnJPS at inspire17 and hopeful to see new friends from the community.  I'm going to call out some new friends that I've recently helped on the community and ask them to post here too.  Let's get their perspectives!

Cheers,

Mark

@hjm35055@pennylaf@bwortham32@John_S_Thompson@nuralijiwani@bwortham32@alexandra_hanna@saivig99@serendipitytech@Phyllis@wottel@cap_mike

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
alexandra_hanna
7 - Meteor

Hi Mark, 

Thank you for tagging me. Like you I enjoy playing with Alteryx (and use it for work on a daily basis) with a desire to become an expert one day. My motivations are a combination of factors but I think we agree on those that are most important:

I set out to help others by participating in the community, hoping to make a difference to someone's day (the intended effect being making someone feel happy/relived/etc...). I also find this space comfortable and engaging  for the purposes of exchanging knowledge, you can definitely learn new tricks from members that propose alternatives to achieve the same outcome! Finally I find it much easier to learn by solving a problem rather than listening to or watching videos.

Looking forward to hearing what the others have to share!

Cheers,

Sasha

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

for me it's a combination of learning and investment.

Learning because the way I learn best is to apply learnings to problems.   When I first interacted with the community @MarqueeCrew mentioned to me on a chat that he'd learned the most about Alteryx through helping others to find solutions to their problems.   So this is a great situation where the best way to meet a selfish need (i.e. to learn and grow) is completely aligned with the altruistic outcome of helping others.

Investment because the stronger the community is; the more the alteryx community and product can grow; which then allows our shared investment in alteryx to be a long-term investment with solid return.

So these are both instances where  participating actually creates a direct benefit for all parties.

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

As a newer member I found the community invaluable for learning the tricks and best practices for using Alteryx well.  They've helped me with some pretty tricky workflows, and given solutions that stretch my knowledge.  Now, I want to give back.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

serendipitytech
8 - Asteroid

Better late than never in responding I suppose? 

I've found such great value from this community. As a newer user, I know I still have a ton to learn, and I just love that I can come here and post a question, no matter how simple, and get great suggestions from everyone.

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

An opportunity to be a part of and contribute to a community that is welcoming and inclusive. I am happy to help, it is a joy for me if I can help someone else be successful. I learn Alteryx from reading other people's replies, and attempting to solve new questions is meaningful practice for myself so I can deepen my awareness, a challenge to parse the deeper need, and provide results in an optimal way. They say knowledge is power, but I believe knowledge is only powerful when shared.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Badges. Men will die for badges.

Labels