Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #9: Crane Leasing

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Maveryx,

We posted the solution JSON file to Cloud Quest #8. Check it out and let us know what you think! Send suggestions to academy@alteryx.com or leave a comment below!

Let’s dive into this week's quest!

1. Upload the provided Cloud Quest 9 - Start File.json file into your Analytics Cloud library.
  2. The necessary datasets are pre-populated in the Text Input tools.

For more detailed instructions on how to import and export Designer Cloud workflow files, check out the pinned article Cloud Quest Submission Process Update.

Scenario:

In this week’s quest, a general contractor needs your assistance assessing his business using date-time analysis.

Bob, who had been working as a home builder, decided to transition his business towards leasing construction equipment. Among other equipment, he has two cranes he has been leasing for a while. He wants to get a better idea how his crane leasing business has been going.

Create a workflow that will show how many days both of his cranes have been leased at the same time during the years 2016-2018, the only years where he has a full set of data for both cranes.

Hint: In Designer Desktop, the Generate Rows tool would be the most efficient way to tokenize records within a date range. Unfortunately, the Generate Rows tool is not yet available in Designer Cloud (coming soon in 2024!), but you can still solve this quest thinking outside the box with a cartesian join from the Append Columns tool.

Spoiler

A combination of the Summarize, Filter, Append Columns, Formula, and Sample tools should solve your problem, but not necessarily in this sequence.

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in the Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Once you have completed your quest, go back to your Analytics Cloud library.

• Download your workflow solution file.
  • Include your JSON file and a screenshot of your workflow as attachments to your comment.

Here’s to a successful quest!

AYX-Maveryx_Micro Identity-Maveryx Academy_wordmark.png

20 REPLIES 20
geoff_zath
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
quest_9_workflow.png

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Quest9_JeffF.png
RobertW
Alteryx
Alteryx

This one wasn't too bad, but I think the input is a little unclear

Hint

Spoiler
Are you stuck with 340? You've got the right workflow, but you need to adjust for any dates that start/end before the requested timeframe, you can't just filter them out.

Solution

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 4.21.31 PM.png

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Tough one, but I was right there... need a Generate Rows tool ASAP 😊

Spoiler
Quest #9 Snap.png
bradshaw
Alteryx
Alteryx

I liked this one, a bit of a challenge without Generate Rows

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 9.56.33 PM.png
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

My solution, at first, I wanted to challenge myself to do it without generate row, which was the way in the end!

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I had to kind of back into the logic on this one. I agree with others that the "Generate Rows" tool would make this one easier.

Spoiler
009.png
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I really struggled with the final steps on this one. I got really close (attempt uploaded) but needed to get some hints in order to come up with the right solution. 
I also created an App in App Builder, even though it's super simple. :) 

Spoiler

CloudQuest9-TS_screen.png

CloudQuest9-AppPreview.png

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
mshishido
8 - Asteroid

used designer to help a bit

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Most challenging so far!  This one really made me think about the logic!

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-07-03 172758.png