Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #2: Consumer Purchase Aggregation

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Academy_Quests_Banner.png

Hi Maveryx,

Thanks for submitting your solutions for our first official Cloud Quest! In the video solution we posted, Alteryx Chief Evangelist, Joshua Burkhow (@joshuaburkhow) will guide you through the workflow (scroll down the page to locate the video).

Thank you, Josh, for the exceptional guidance!

For this week’s quest, you are taking on the role of a restaurant manager. You want to review customer purchase behavior to decide whether your restaurant should offer a meal deal that would add a side and drink to a pizza or burger purchase. To make this decision, you need to study recent transactions to determine the potential impact it could have.

The Point of Sale dataset includes the ticket-level information, and the two lookup tables categorize items into higher-level food types.

Your task is to determine the percentage of orders since July 1, 2013, that include the Food category (Pizza or Burger) paired with a Side AND Drink. To accomplish this, you need to determine the total number of orders placed within the specified timeframe and identify those that meet the criteria for the potential meal deal you are considering for your menu.

Hint 1: Remember to combine the dataset with the lookup tables and filter by date.

Hint 2: Remember to account for dates after June 30, 2013 to include July 1, 2013 in the output.

Your final result should look like the following image:

Output.png

Spoiler
Hint: A combination of Join, Filter, Summarize, Cross Tab, Append Columns, and Summarize tools should solve your problem, not necessarily in this sequence.

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Once you have completed this quest, capture a screenshot of your finalized workflow in Designer Cloud and attach the image of your solution to a comment on this post.

Here’s to a successful quest!

SOLUTION

We want to hear from you!

As we introduce our Cloud Quests for the first time, we value your input. Share your thoughts on the clarity of instructions, the provided dataset, the expected output, and any suggestions to enhance your experience.

Thank you!

AYX-Maveryx_Micro Identity-Maveryx Academy_wordmark.png

41 REPLIES 41
JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Quest2 - 2024-02-26 110447.png
MikeRoof
Alteryx
Alteryx

👋

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 12.24.23 PM.png
JoachimCaronTIL
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution with documentation :

Spoiler
Quest 2 JC.png

Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here's my solution. One thing to mention is that you only get the desired results from the challenge description if you don't run the job. If you do run the job, the counts increase and your final percentage is off by a fraction. If you also build this workflow in Designer, don't compare the results from each tool to each tool in your Designer Cloud workflow for the same reason :) 

Also, I'm not sure why, but I had an issue with the Formula tool. I originally had an IF THEN statement to create a flag for the potential meal deals followed by Summarize to count the number of potential meals. It worked once, then randomly stopped working and all my flags were set to 0. My solution was to replace the Formula tool with 3 Filter tools instead then a Count Rows tool.

Workflow:

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-02-29 121357.png

Results:

Spoiler
Sample Results:
Screenshot 2024-02-29 121642.png

Complete Results:
Screenshot 2024-02-29 121755.png
kelvin_law1
9 - Comet

Agreed that a Select All will be helpful for the Cross Tab tool.

Also, I just realized that Fixed Decimal is not a data type option in Designer Cloud.

Here is my solution:

Spoiler
Quest2.png

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I like the Tool Icons better of Cloud than the ones of Desktop. 😂

Spoiler
Quest 2.png
Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here is my solution !

Spoiler
Capture d’écran 2024-03-01 à 22.43.09.png
LynnPätzold
8 - Asteroid

This was also a Weekly Challenge once, wasn't it? In Alteryx Designer I would have been way faster. Still getting used to Alteryx Cloud.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-03-04 122018.png

matyohan
9 - Comet

Here is my solution, 

Thanks for these new challenges, 

Yohan

Spoiler
cloudquest2.png

AlexG
Alteryx
Alteryx