Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #14: Shift Work

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Maveryx,

We posted the solution JSON file to Cloud Quest 13. Check it out and let us know what you think! Send suggestions to academy@alteryx.com or leave a comment below!

Let’s dive into this week's quest!

1. Download and extract the provided JSON file containing your starting data and workflow files.
  2. Upload the provided Cloud Quest 14 Start.json file into your Analytics Cloud library.
  3. All necessary datasets are contained within Text Input tools in the workflow.

For more detailed instructions on how to import and export Designer Cloud workflow files, check out the pinned article Cloud Quest Submission Process Update.

Scenario:

For today's Cloud Quest, imagine you are an analyst for a manufacturing company that operates 24 hours a day. Because they operate 24/7, there are two production crews working each day. The day shift starts at 6:00 a.m. and ends at 6:00 p.m., while the night shift starts at 6:00 p.m. and ends at 6:00 a.m. the following day. To ensure that the day and night shift crews are achieving similar results, all daily reports have to show production results for each shift.

The dataset you have been given contains a list of dates and times of when production data was collected. Your task is to reformat the dates and times to reflect the appropriate shift the production data belongs to. One full day of production starts at 6:00 a.m. and ends at 5:59 a.m. the next day. This means that all production during midnight to 6:00 a.m. gets recorded as daily production for the previous calendar day, because that is when the crew started their shift. For example, a record showing 5/7/23 09:00 a.m. would be recorded as the 5/7/23 Day Shift, but 5/7/23 03:00 a.m. would be recorded as the 5/6/23 Night Shift.

After you have changed the dates to their appropriate shift date, answer the following questions:

1. Which day shift and night shift had the most records?
  2. What is the average number of records collected for each shift? 

Hint: 

1. RegEx expressions can be used in the Formula tool as well as the RegEx tool.
  2. You can "group by" and sort in the Designer Cloud Sample tool.
Spoiler
A combination of the Summarize, Formula, DateTime, Select, and Text to Columns tools should solve your problem, but not necessarily in this sequence.

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in the Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Once you have completed your quest, go back to your Analytics Cloud library.

• Download your workflow solution file.
  • Include your JSON file and a screenshot of your workflow as attachments to your comment.

Here’s to a successful quest!

AYXAcademy_0-1721836484055.png

10 REPLIES 10
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I used simple text to columns to extract the data needed to complete the logic.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-08-07 104346.png
mshishido
8 - Asteroid

Here it is

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Quest14_JeffF.png
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

I had to be careful about the Formulas

Spoiler
Cloud Quest 14.png
geoff_zath
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
quest_14_workflow.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution!

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2024-08-11 120058.png

I made a similar workflow at the real work recently.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
image.png
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Done!

Spoiler
Quest 14 screenshot.png
messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

My solution

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-08-13 110039.png
Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!