Cincinnati, OH

SOLVED

Removing leading varchar

Andy_Katona
8 - Asteroid

Team,

I have a member key that has various alpha characters at the beginning, e.g. GRT3455M34355. The length varies so the right & left is not working for me. Thus, my main goal is to take that GRT from the beginning & have just the 3455M34355. Or just remove the first 3 characters of each Member key.

Thoughts?

I appreciate your help.  

4 REPLIES 4
Peter1
5 - Atom

@Andy_Katona I'm personally a fan of RegEx, but you could solve this one a couple different ways. The RegEx you could use for this is pretty simple based on your example, and you could refine it if the data has more nuances.

RegEx Parse: .{3}(.+)

Another approach would be along the lines of the Left/Right functions you mentioned. You want everything to the right of the first 3 characters, but you don't know how many that will be. Use a Length function to let the workflow calculate that number, and take all but the Left 3 characters.

Formula: Right([Sample],Length([Sample])-3)

See attached for an example that shows both of these. Hope this helps!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

how about:

substring([field],3,)

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Substring([Field],3)

That is the proper syntax to take the 3rd position forward.  the numbering is zero-based.

ABCDEFG will become 

DEFG

Cheers again,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Andy_Katona
8 - Asteroid

Team,

I can't thank you enough. I searched the web & played with RegEx for hours trying to figure it out. Thank you!!!! I can't wait till I get better at this so I can help others as well.