Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Bengaluru, IN

Welcome to the Bengaluru User Group

Click in the JOIN GROUP button in Home to follow our news and attend our events!

A New Chapter begins...AFG event at Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning

SubratDas5
10 - Fireball

Hi Everyone, 

Alteryx For Good in India has had a wonderful journey over the last year and a half. We are helping charities in their data challenges and making an impact in the lives of the students/ end stakeholders. Some of us at the AFG India team decided that we should now move towards making a bigger impact. This brainstorming led us to think of the other avenues where we can use Alteryx For Good -- Universities.

This sounded like a great opportunity to give back to my alma mater in terms of sharing my knowledge and learnings in Alteryx with the current and future students of the University.
I am very fortunate to have studied at a University where education is provided free of cost right from the kindergarten to the Post Graduate and P.hD levels. The university is the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning( www.sssihl.edu.in). It is a model university that looks at Educare - a system of education that blends secular knowledge with spiritual knowledge.

The University Campus at PuttaparthyThe University Campus at Puttaparthy

I called on my professor Dr.Subhash Subramaniam and proposed Alteryx to him sometime during June-July. I also met him during an Alumni connect in August 2019 and also spoke with the other key stakeholders of the Management Department. They currently train the students on Tableau as part of their lab courses. I mentioned the way Alteryx and Tableau have been enabled consultants to enhance decision making for various companies by leveraging the best of both tools.

Post this I worked with Dr. Subhash to set up the session and the date was finalized for Nov4th, 2019. The students would be starting off a fresh semester and we concurred that this was the best time for us to introduce the students to Alteryx and the many benefits they can derive from it.

The session started off in the afternoon around 1:30 and we had a quick introduction post which I explained some of the key data challenges that we face every day as part of a consultant's day in the life. I then introduced Alteryx and the wonderful history that they have from being a GIS company to currently being one of the top tools in Gartner's Analytics Quadrant.

IMG_20191104_154622589.jpg

In the session, I was able to show an end to end implementation of a project in Alteryx and Tableau by using a dataset close to them - a dataset on First time MPs in this year's Lok Sabha elections. I highlighted the simple way in which Alteryx can assimilate data from multiple CSV files( one for each State) and then clean it up to make it ready for visualization in Tableau. This was very well received by the students.

I also provided a high-level overview of the different types of challenges that they can overcome using Alteryx be it with Spatial data, huge CSV files, iterative approaches to solve multiple use-cases. I showcased the power of Macros and the comfort and collaborative nature of Analytic Apps.

The session was a great opportunity for me to give back to the department which has played a significant role in my life and gave immense satisfaction to see smiling and eager faces who now want to take over the world with the power of Alteryx beneath their wings. Some of the students mentioned interesting use-cases which they are looking forward to starting solving using Alteryx rather than doing the task manually in Excel or otherwise.

IMG_20191104_154717839.jpg

IMG_20191104_154814623.jpg

This is the start of a new page in the AFG Chapter in India and there is a long way to go before I sleep.

I would like to thank the Alteryx team - @LaurenU , @annie, @ToriA,@QuyenT, and @LeahK for their support on our ideas and initiatives and the leads of the Alteryx User Group @ydmuley@scolaco@jerrin@Manjunath, and  for their continuous help and motivation.

Looking forward to all your participation to make the initiative a successful one.

Attached is the presentation that I made.

Cheers,

Subrat

5 REPLIES 5
ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Great start @SubratDas5 Glad to see Alteryx For Good spreading more in India and impacting many more generations.

Kudos to the efforts.

Thanks to the Alteryx Team!

Regards,

Yug

Regards,
Yugandhar Muley (Yug)

Alteryx ACE | Alteryx For Good India Lead | Bengaluru Alteryx User Group Lead
LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Wow. Just wow, you guys! Thank you so much for being representatives of the Alteryx Community and paving the way for future data analysts. 

Tagging @ChrisS 

scolaco
7 - Meteor
Your passion for the cause is such a motivation for all of us Subrat!! Thank you for bringing out the best in us 🙂
nravik
11 - Bolide

Thank you so much Subrat for sharing this and you have created an Impact on those students at a great time in their college life and am sure this session will benefit many lives in future.

Thanks for inspiring us.

Ravi

Manjunath
8 - Asteroid

Great work as always @SubratDas5 !!

Great to see Next gen of Data Users get inspired and take up Alteryx!

Proud of the way AFG in India is touching so many lives and is enabling & empowering them in so many different ways!!

Kudos to the entire team of AFG India again!