Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Bengaluru, IN

Welcome to the Bengaluru User Group

Click in the JOIN GROUP button in Home to follow our news and attend our events!

SOLVED

Need clarity on Append Fields Tool.

stj1120
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I've gone through Append Fields Tool but, I still confuse in which use cases we use it. In the Tool mastery series there is no any clear documentation on it. Always it is confusing me. I've gone through it many times; although I still confuse.

Kindly please let me know the possible use cases on using this tool and how frequently we use it. Also please do let know the pros and cons of this tool.

Many thanks!

B. Sreenivasa Teja.

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Via iPhone this is terse:

Use the tool to add a single or set of constant values to every record. While you could write a formula with the fields for a similar effect, sometimes you might summarize data and append the total of data (e.g. count or sum) to every record.

If you need to create a set of rows for every record, you can bring in the desired rows ( e.g. stores) and get multiple identical rows from the target times the number of source rows appended.

If you need to have every combination of rows, you can append data to itself and create a Cartesian join.

Please go to academy and find the interactive lesson on the append fields tool. It does a good job explaining the usage

Finally, I use it often!

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
stj1120
8 - Asteroid

Hi Mark, @MarqueeCrew 

If I have two tables with the different columns and no common data type with >50k records in both of them and if I need to join between these two tables then in such case, would it be good to use Append Fields tool(wondering this tool produces to huge number of records which is not useful) or is that better to go with JOIN tool by configuring "Join by record position"? 

Kindly please let me know. Many thanks!

Best Regards,

Sreeenivasa Teja.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@stj1120 ,

If you have an EQUAL number of records in the two tables and each record # corresponds to the data between the two tables, then YES.  That is a very efficient way of placing the columns from Table B onto the records from Table A.

Cheers,

Mark

stj1120
8 - Asteroid

@MarqueeCrew 

Hi Mark,

Could you please give me a clear clarification for my earlier reply (Append tool [OR] Join tool by configuring "Record by Position") ? I don't understand what you mentioned in the earlier reply.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Sreenivasa Teja.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@stj1120 ,

Table 1:

First Name

Last Name

Table 2:

eMail

Phone

If you JOIN by record position, you will put Table 2: Record #1's email and phone onto Table 1: Record #1.

If there are an unequal number of records, do not do this.

Cheers,

Mark