Analytics

News, events, thought leadership and more.
StephenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

2020.3_SnowflakeBulk_CommBanner_1000x150px-01.jpg

Got big data? Alteryx and Snowflake are here to help. Streamline the transfer of your big data from Alteryx Designer to Snowflake’s Cloud Data Platform with the enhanced Snowflake Bulk Load feature in 2020.3. With these updates to the Snowflake Bulk Loader, you'll experience more agility between your data analytics and your data warehouse, eliminate extra processes and costs, and get your data where it needs to go faster.

Thanks to your feedback, we have enhanced our existing Snowflake Bulk Load feature to support bulk loading from a local file system. You can now avoid provisioning an Amazon S3 bucket purely for staging purposes and allow your data to transfer directly to Snowflake's internal staging — no workarounds necessary. Not to worry, for those that prefer it, staging from an Amazon S3 bucket continues to be an option.

“Adding the internal staging option is very beneficial for Alteryx customers. This is also great news for partners of Alteryx and Snowflake, like us over at Tessellation. Instead of pointing to an external staging area to load data, which is not always going to be an option, Snowflake will now create and manage these AWS S3 buckets for us. Now our clients don't need a separate AWS account to load data into Snowflake, which enables them to use the functionality much more easily. Furthermore, this may drive other benefits like increased compliance standards around the management and transfer of sensitive data.”  — Nick Haylund, Alteryx ACE & Principal Consultant, Tessellation

Additionally, we have included the ability to choose between three staging methods — User, Table, and Internal Named. 
Refer to Snowflake's Types of Stage for guidance on which staging option is optimal for you and your organization's data.

snowflake-bulk-loader-demo.gif

“Simplifying the data load process into Snowflake is a game-changer for Alteryx customers. In particular, the ability to fine-tune the Snowflake staging method (without managing external data stores like AWS S3) will reduced technical complexities and create faster data-driven business value. With the enhanced Snowflake Bulk Load feature, our DataDrive team is excited to connect people with their data leveraging Alteryx and Snowflake.” — Luke Komiskey, Founder & Managing Director, DataDrive

We're excited to announce this new capability that strengthens the tie between Alteryx and Snowflake to help your company become even more data-driven. Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Boost your company’s automated analytic processes and install 2020.3 today. To read more about this brand new addition to our platform and more, head over to our Technical Documentation.

We’re all ears! If you are a current customer, get a sneak peek at brand-new innovations in our Beta Program and provide feedback to our Product Team to shape the future of Alteryx. If you’re brand new to Alteryx, give us a test run with our free Designer Trial to see what the power of Analytic Process Automation can do for you.

Comments
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

ooooh, this made me go all wibbly...

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

@bora_perusic does the Snowflake Bulk Loader still convert the data to CSV prior to loading? 

bora_perusic
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @davidhenington , yes, CSV is the only format we are supporting for now. Do you experience any issues with that?

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

@bora_perusic I had a use case recently that involved loading many XML files. I figured it would be a stretch to bulk load them into SF with Alteryx, but just wanted to be sure there hadn't been any enhancements here. I think in this instance the approach would be to configure the initial load with SF and then conduct parsing and analysis in-db with Alteryx. Does Alteryx support all existing Snowflake functions in-db?  

bora_perusic
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@davidhenington hmm :). The In-DB Formulas are pass-through, so you probably could use the PARSE_XML function inside it, if this is what you mean. But I have to admit I have never tried it. Would be very curious to hear from you back on this use case!

Best

Bora

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

@bora_perusic parse is one, absolutely; I'm really curious about XMLGET and FLATTEN(). 

Snowflake has a lot of unique functions - hopefully I will be testing more specifically in the near future.